Friday, December 11, 2009

My top 25 80's Films - what 80's films do you love?

I miss the simplicity of the 1980s. The music. The Cartoons (go Voltron!). But especially the movies.

I had a rare day off today - and since my boss didn't deposit my paycheck until after 9pm tonight, I got to spend a potential Xmas shopping day (avoiding traffic and crazy people running manic through Target) at home, sifting through my dwindling VHS collection. Yes, I still have VHS tapes. And I have Beta tapes, too. I refuse to ditch them, dammit. Its not like you can find "The Ewok Adventure" just any old where these days... well, maybe on Netflix.. but I digress.

In the 1980's, movies looked different. Not just aesthetically, but technically - and in my opinion, they were better for it. To me, there was an innocence to the production values of the films that were made. The film had a gritty, grainy feel, and special effects didn't get any better than Star Wars, with all its plastic model space ships and simulated starry skies. And we bought it all, hook, line and sinker. What wasn't to love?

Anyway, since this is my first blog post, and given that Avatar, a film that promises to obliterate all past special effects conventions, is less than a fortnight away from its premiere, I thought it would be fun to reminisce over a couple 80s films I feel will always have a place in my heart, no matter what Hollywood cooks up. Do any of my favorites make your list? And if not, two words: Net. Flix. Seriously. (yes that's three, I know.) 'Til next time, fellow film fans. Maeve out....


1. "Real Genius" (1985) - Val Kilmer plays cool science nerd to goofy, 80s perfection.

2. "The Monster Squad" (1987) - Dracula and friends descend a small town where the kids are the only line of defense. Glorious 80s effects galore.

3. "Crocodile Dundee" (1986) - Outback roughneck meets 1980s New York and all its characters.

4. "The Neverending Story" (1985) - I named my dogs Falkor and Moonchild in its honor. It's that good.

5. "Silver Bullet" (1985) - Werewolves+Corey Haim+80s effects=Awesome. Not to mention, its Stephen King. The narration reminds me of "To Kill a Mockingbird."

6. "Masters of the Universe" (1987) - Courtney Cox is in it, and so is Christina Pickles, who played her mom on "Friends." And Dolph Lundgren wears a metal speedo and wields a sword.

7. "Millenium" (1989) - Time Travelers save plane crash victims in order to save their future.

8. "Lady in White" (1988) - Lucas Haas (Witness) meets a ghostly girl and helps solve her murder.

9. "Fright Night" (1985) - "Oh, you're so cool, Brewster!" Christopher Sarandon as a vampire next door. The night club scene is totally ripped off in Basic Instinct.

10. "Jumpin Jack Flash" (1986) - Whoopi. And Spies. And B-Flat. That's important.

11. "Protocol" (1984) - Goldie Hawn goes to Washington and reminds me how amazingly small town mentality and politics could fit together.

12. "The Lost Boys" (1987) - The Coreys. And Vampires. And the cucaracha. An 80s classic. This movie also introduced me to The Doors.

13. "Romancing the Stone" (1984) - The best Kathleen Turner-Michael Douglas collaboration.

14. "The Goonies" (1985) - Spielburg. And Pirates. Arghhhhh.

15. "The Abyss" (1989) - Before Titanic, James Cameron gave us this masterpiece below the surface. The director's cut is illuminating.

16. "The Legend of Billie Jean" (1985) - Helen Slater makes me shout, "Fair is Fair!" and cut my hair, to my mother's chagrin.

17. "An American Werewolf in London" (1981) - I can watch the transformation scene over and over and always see something new. This is how you do "wolfing out."

18. "The Golden Child" (1985) - "I said, I, I, aa-aa-I, I, want the knife." Classic Eddie Murphy.

19. "The Last Starfighter" (1984) - I fell in love with Lance Guest in Halloween 2, but this Star Wars wannabe stole my heart and made me want to defend the frontier against Zur, too.

20. "My Science Project" (1985) - Cult Classic with Fisher Stevens (squee!) and Dennis Hopper as a hippie science teacher.

21. "Big Trouble in Little China" (1986) - Kurt Russell and Kim Cattrall try to stop a sorcerer in Chinatown. The theme song is super catchy. I dare you not to sing it.

22. "The Boy Who Could Fly" (1986) - I cry every time he kisses her, tells her he loves her and flies out of her window. Seriously, he flies.

23. "Brewster's Millions" (1985) - Pryor and Candy. Richard and John. Spend $30 million in 30 days to get $300 million. Can you dig it?

24. "Flash Gordon"(1980) - Who needs Superman when you got the quarterback for the New York Jets? Not to mention, Queen did the soundtrack. Hell. Yes.

25. "Young Sherlock Holmes" (1985) - I defy ANYONE not to sob at end. I try, but I always fail. Oh, and suicidal, dancing cakes and cookies. That's the 80s for ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment