Saturday, December 12, 2009

Coming Soon.. 3 Movies I am Looking Forward To

Hey, folks! Thanks for stopping by my Movie blog!

So, I thought I'd give a shout out to a few films I felt people should see in the next few weeks before the year ends.

In no particular order:

1. "Up In The Air," starring George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, and Anna Kendrick. Directed by Jason Reitman.
My friends, this movie has A LOT going for it. George Clooney is a given - he eats dialogue like this for breakfast. I heart Vera Farmiga from her days on USA's crime-serial, Touching Evil, with Jeffrey Donovan. Anna Kendrick is famous nowadays for her role in Twilight, but if you saw her in "Camp", you knew she was capable of this kind of performance. Jason Reitman is going to have a great new year. His direction made "Juno" a surprise smash, and "Up In The Air" is a poignant, sincere story in his masterful hands.

2 "It's Complicated," starring Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin. Directed by Nancy Meyers.
I am sure this movie will do great without my assistance, but just in case you haven't heard about this marriage-divorce-second chances comedy, be aware. Nobody does mature romantic comedy like Meyers. I cite "The Holiday," and "Something's Gotta Give" as evidence. Alec Baldwin has really come into his own as a comedic titan, and Meryl Streep is always consistently riveting and surprising at the same time. I think a lot of woman will find the laughs relatable, and some men will chuckle too, probably less when they realize 90% of the jokes are at their expense. But, if you get your money's worth, who cares, right?


3. "Sherlock Holmes," starring Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law and Rachel McAdams. Directed by Guy Ritchie.
There's been plenty of talk about this film, which opens on Christmas Day, but very little hype in my opinion. That, I think, will end up being a good thing. Action films set in London don't happen often, and when they do the results are varied (see "League of Extraordinary Gentleman"). But what Guy Ritchie seems to have done is make an old classic sexier. Yes, sexier. Sherlock Holmes has always been attractive fare - moody, mysterious, engaging. And that was just on the page. Now, we get Downey Jr., with all his wit and bravado, Jude Law with all the refinement and swagger of his A.I. character, Gigolo Joe, and Rachel McAdams as the damsel in distress (or is she?). Will it be entertaining. Indubitably.

As I see these films, I'll update them with reviews and my new signature seal of approval....
"Til then, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment